Tuesday, February 28, 2017

I Wonder Why Lemons Taste Sour and Other Questions About Senses

I Wonder Why Lemons Taste Sour and Other Questions About Senses is a unique book that I encountered at the library, it is written by Deborah Chancellor. This book caught my interest because it is a nonfiction book, however it is very intriguing book that literally just is a book about random facts about your senses. Some of the topics that the book explores are taste buds, pain, brain freezes, sounds, and even how your eyes work. I would classify this book as an informational book. This book falls under this genre clearly because it is just that—a book about facts! Characteristics of books in the informational genre are: it has to tell factual information, they include maps pictures or diagrams that help explain the facts. Validity is key to an informational book.
The illustrations in this book are either diagrams, or just quick pictures in that either represent or the fact that is being stated. They are definitely not too much of an important aspect to the book, as they are small and do not overpower the words at all.
The style of this book is unique. Although it is an informational book, it is written in an interested way that piques the readers interest. It can easily be read from cover to cover with ease. I could definitely tell that this book was formatted for children. There isn’t a setting or characters in this book. There is a theme however, which clearly is the senses as each fact that is presented is related to one of the 6 senses (pain obviously is considered the 6th sense).
An activity that can be used with this book is to have children discuss to each other in small groups about some things that they have learned after reading the book. Another activity that can be done with this book is to have children to create their own book similar to this book, in which they state fun facts that they know. They can then share their mini books with other students in the class.
After reading this book, I have gained a better appreciation of informational books. I never pictured myself reading a book like this from front and back with ease—let alone enjoy it! I am a nursing major, and even I have learned a thing or two after reading this book. Children of all ages can benefit from reading this book and others like it.


Chancellor, D. (2007). I wonder why lemons taste sour and other questions about senses. Kingfisher Publications: Boston, MA.

No comments:

Post a Comment